Assign modules on offcanvas module position to make them visible in the sidebar.

Our school

Tags

If the history of Codrington College has been one full of disasters, it has also been a history full of commendable academic achievements.  From the 9th September 1745 when the College opened its doors as a Grammar school with twelve students, until the present day, a steady stream of students have graduated.  Following are some of the academic milestones.

 

 1743 -

The Rev. Thomas Rotherham, M.A. of Queen College, Oxford, was appointedHeadmaster of the school, with the Rev. Joseph Bewsham appointed Usher.
  

 1745 -

The school was opened in September of this year.  In October the Headmaster sent off what was the first report of the school to SPG.  By this time, the number of students had increased to seventeen.  Mr. Rotherham tells of their academic levels: One "can read". . . one "can read and write" . . .one "cannot read a word". These seventeen boys were "scholars of the foundation", i.e., their education was free.  The SPG report of 1747 mentions thirty other students who "were not on the foundation", i.e., they were boarders who paid for their education.
  

 1825 -

A SPG report of this year states that the College should be "providing an adequate education for such of the West Indian youths as should be disposed to devote themselves to Christian ministry in their native islands, without seeking the necessary qualifications in Europe, at a distance from their friends and relations".
  

 1829 -

The College ceased being a grammar school and was designated a full fledged college.  The Rev. J. Pinder, M. A. of Caius College, Cambridge, was sent out by the SPG to be Principal.  The rev. E. p. Smith, B.A of Pembroke College, Oxford,  was appointed Tutor.

 1830 -

October 12: Codrington College began a new era as a full fledged college. 

 1846 -

By this date, some 111 students had graduated from the College since the start of its new era in 1830.  The distribution of the students per country was as follows:
   
            Anguilla    1                                 Jamaica  1     
            Antigua     9                                Montserrat  1
            Barbados   67                              Nevis  1
            Bermuda 1                                  New Brunswick  1
            British Guiana    2                        St. Christopher (St. Kitts)  2
            Dominica     1                             St. Lucia  1
            England      13                            St. Vincent  3
            Ireland       1                              Trinidad  6
     

 1875 -

Codrington College affiliated with Durham University in England.  The students of Codrington were now allowed to read for Durham degrees.  The affiliation with Durham lasted until 1955.  During these years, the College became a ‘mixed' college academically, consisting of ‘secular' students reading for degrees in  classics, and those preparing for ordination to the priesthood, many of whom also read classics for the Durham degree.
    

 1913 -

Through the initiative of Principal A. H. Anstey, the College launched out into teacher training.  The Rawle Training Institute for men was established, with a similar institution for women being founded in the following year (1914).  These students shared in the social and religious life of Codrington College.
    

 1971 -

The B.A. in Theology of the UWI, approved by Senate in 1970, was introduced at Codrington College.  Courses for the Licentiate had begun in 1965.
    

 1972 -

A five-month course in Communications was introduced at Codrington.  The course was jointly sponsored by the Extra-Mural Department of the UWI, the Caribbean Conference of Churches and Codrington College. ‘Communicarib', as the course was called, catered to persons involved in work with the newspaper, television and radio media in the Caribbean.  The course was held each ensuing year until 1981.
    

 1974 -

The first group of Codrington students graduated with the B.A. in Theology of the UWI.
   

 1974 -

Mrs. Edna Scott created history by being the first female to enter Codrington College as a part-time non-resident student, to study for the B.A in Theology.  She was followed two weeks later by Mrs. Pearl Kirton who pursued the same studies. 

 1978 -

A part-time course leading to the Diploma in Theology began at Codrington.  This course was specifically for lay persons who played a leading role in their church, and those who taught religion in day schools.

 

 

 

Share this information

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn